Friday, May 22, 2009

Great Pyramids of Giza


I had an amazing day in Giza, Egypt today. Giza, which is on the edge of the capital city of Cairo, is home to three pyramids and the Sphinx.

I was actually able to go inside the biggest of the pyramids, known as the "Great
Pyramid of Cheops," and climb up a narrow passage to the burial chamber. For the last 25 metres I had to crawl -- it's definitely not for people who hate small spaces!


Next to the three pyramids is the Great Sphinx, the half man/half lion statue that is centuries old. It is missing the cobra from its head, its beard, and its nose. Otherwise, Ol' Sphinx looks pretty good!


In a crack between the limestone blocks of the Cheops Pyramid

One of the highlights of this special day was riding a camel next to the pyramids. It wasn't the most comfortable ride, but it sure was memorable!


No comments:

Post a Comment