Thursday, April 9, 2009

Other African Creatures

I saw plenty of other African creatures besides the "Big 5" while I was on safari.

These vervet monkeys hung around the buildings where the people slept and ate, and if you weren't watching your food, they'd snatch it right off your plate. The staff at the safari consider them pests (they sometimes sneak into the kitchen and m
ake a real mess), so they use slingshots to try to keep them away.

I think they are pretty cute (and you should see how fast the mama can run with her little baby hanging on underneath!)



I love giraffes, and we our group was lucky enough to find a group feeding in one morning. A group of giraffes is called a "dazzle." Isn't that a perfect word for them?!


Hippos are hard to see during the day, because they spend most of the time underwater (of course they come up to breathe, but then they go right under again.) That's because their skin is very sensitive to the sun and so they try to keep cool all day long. This "raft of hippos" were having a bath in the the river (you should be able to count six of them.)

This golden orb spider spun a web on Ranger Landon's jeep. They are about the size of the palm of my hand and they get their name from the yellow colour of their webs.


Few of the impala I saw stayed still for a photograph (luckily, this one did.) I also saw wildebeest, bushbucks, springboks and nyala (other types of African antelope.)


I only saw this one crocodile (maybe that's a good thing!)


Here's one last picture of the lions, along with Tracker Eddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment