Wednesday, April 1, 2009

On Safari in Africa

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to post for a few days. I am on a safari in South Africa right now, in an area known as the "Sabi Sands," which is located near the borders of Mozambique and Swaziland.

The wildlife here is amazing! I've seen just about every African animal you can imagine. This morning, as I was brushing my teeth, a gigantic bull elephant passed right in front of me. Later on, the tracker and guide found a sleeping pride of lions, twelve of them in all. We were so close to them that we could have touched them (but of course we didn't. That wouldn't be very smart!) I've also seen giraffes, rhinos and hippos, among many other animals.

Unfortunately, the Internet service here is very, very slow and it would take forever to load pictures to show you. So I'll have to wait until the weekend after I leave Africa. I'm headed to Paris this Saturday; once I'm there, I promise you all some fantastic photos from the African bush!

Here's something funny that happened this morning: as you know, today is April Fool's Day. The guide who has been leading the game drives is named Landon, and he's a pretty funny guy. He got on the radio and called all of the other guides to come to a place where he had spotted some wild dogs (they are very rare and they haven't been seen around here for years.) The jeeps all came flying to our location as fast as they could, with the passengers bouncing around like crazy. When they all got there, Landon explained that the dogs had just run off, and they were howling something that sounded like, "Happy April Fool's Day!"

I think the other guides are planning some revenge for Landon for later today. I'll let you know what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr. Rosell. This is Div. 10. We miss you. That story reminded us about the boy who cried wolf. What was the revenge on Landon? In this case says Dustin it is the Boy who cried Dog. We like your pictures that you took. Was the shark on the pole real? asks Mikail? We wish we were there with you says Jennifer. Good luck on your next adventure says Jill. We are studying about Monet and we are wondering if you will visit Monet's Garden and see the Japanese foot bridge that we are painting with water colours. Why do baboons break into cars? ask Ben. Tia likes the snowglobes. How big is table mountain asks Dustin. Did you buy those snowglobes or just take pictures asks Eva and we are all wondering? It is almost recess. Bye for now. Miss you.

    DIV 10 and Ms. Sipsas

    ReplyDelete